Sunday, May 25, 2014

My Favorite Place in the World..

As I lay here in bed tonight, i realize that my time here in my favorite place will shortly be coming to an end. The place that feels like vacation to me the most, the place that when I walk in the door all my worries and all my troubles suddenly seem so small. The place that holds the memories that I cherish the most in my life. If you asked most women my age what their favorite place in the world is you would get answers like, the beach, my lake house, the mountains, spas, etc.

While all the places are certainly nice, there is no other place that i would rather be then my grandmas house. Im 22 years old and and I am still a firm believer of the saying "theres no place like grandmas." The best feeling in the world is walking in the door after a long 8 1/2 hour drive thats if traffic is good to me and seeing my grandmas face light up and her smile from ear to ear. That is a feeling that warms your soul. 



The days that have passed since I have arrived, have been filled with love, memories, warm conversations and of course good food. There is not a room in this house that does not hold a memory that touches my heart.

 The kitchen where my grandfather taught me how to play cards during breakfast, he started teaching me at a young age and i became the princess of war games. Or the times my eyes would fill up with tears because it was time for me to put my patch on my eye. (I had a lazy eye as a child, which eventually resulted in eye surgery) my grandpa would pick me up off the floor and wipe my tears away as we picked out a new sticker to put on my eye patch that day. We would take turns picking but somehow it would always end in him picking out the exact one that i wanted that day. 

The living room where my grandma would rock me to sleep on her recliner and stroke my hair when i was sick. The times that my pappy would steal my baby blanket from me when I was sleeping and cover up with it knowing that I would wake up and snuggle up to him to get it back. I could never forget the times that my grandma would get our swimming rafts out, we would blow them up and make a pallet on top of them with our blankets and our pillows and camp out on the living room floor for movie night. My twin brother once looked over to find my grandma asleep, he asked her "Grandma if your sleeping who is watching us." That is the night that she realized that he thought she stayed up all night and never went to sleep so she could watch us. The things kids say right!

The bathroom where my grandma would bath me and sing me inapporiate bathroom songs. "Ms. Lou Lou had a baby his name was tiny Tim, she put him in the bathtub to see if he could swim, he swan to the bottom, he swam to the top. Ms. Lou Lou got excited and grab him by his .. don't ASK me no questions ill tell you no lies, if you ever get hit with a bucket of shit be sure to close your eyes! My grandmother has a strong sense of humor, she is actually one of the funniest people I know.. what can i say, she taught me at a young age. Or all the times I would get a new cabbage patch doll to play with in the tub, I had one with a shower and everything. 

But most importantly, the bedroom where my grandmother would tuck us in every night, the bedroom that she taught us our prayers.. The bedroom that she read us a bedtime story in. The room that she reminded us in every night how much she loved us.

I hold all the memories so closer to my heart, and the older i get the more I cherish these memories and the more I appreciate my most favorite place, because I know that one day there will come a time where my favorite place is broken. Where my favorite place becomes a place where people gather to tell me how sorry they are for my lose, and how much they hurt for me. A place where people will walk in the door and not see the memories that play so frequently in my head as i walk room by room. A place that eventually I will have to say goodbye to…. My favorite place will one day be a place where my heart breaks. But until that day, I walk these rooms and I smile, I laugh and I feel the warmth of the love in my heart. 



xoxo.


No comments:

Post a Comment